Saturday, May 8, 2010

SNP central: Wildflower Weekend

The radar looked ominous predawn Saturday, but the forecast of an early dry frontal passage proved true. The best weather is often immediately after a cold front, and this was no exception. The dark clouds broke as we early birds took to the trail, a linear hike from the Old Rag lot at Nethers north to the Buck Hollow trailhead on US-211. Along on this hike was fellow hiker Steve and my brother John. Steve had suggested Robertson, and I was itching for Hannah Run. With John in the mix, we had two vehicles, so the hike could include Robertson and Hannah Run, both major climbs. Sweet!
The Old Rag lot was already filling up upon arrival. Plenty of signs are posted stating that the upper lot is permanently closed, but some folks still drive up there with hopes. A ranger was parked up there to explain the situation. As most other hikers headed up the Old Rag Ridge Trail, we walked on up Weakley Hollow fire road a bit over a mile to the Robertson Mountain trailhead. Robertson is a favorite climb. A lot of work with a fine payout at the top- great views and most often people-free. A special treat was found on that climb- mountain laurel in bloom! Certainly the earliest in the season I've seen it blooming in the Park. Higher up, azalea was still in bloom. A good wildflower showing... after all, it was "Wildflower Weekend".
The wind was the big story of the day. It was howling up on Robertson, enough so that I had to be careful maneuvering about on the exposed rocks. Strong enough to take my breath away when I faced into it. Gusts to 45 mph, easily. Wow! What was it like up on Hawksbill?! The cool crisp gale dried the sweat right away and kept the bugs at bay. It was ideal hiking weather. After a drop down to Old Rag fire road, a few minor climbs followed before the prolonged downhill along Indian Run and Nicholson Hollow. Pink lady's slipper graced the trail along Indian Run. At times it was difficult to distinguish between the sound of the wind in the trees and the rushing of the Hughes River along the Nicholson Hollow Trail. It didn't matter- both were sounds of the great outdoors. I could sense that this was only my second time on Nicholson Hollow Trail between Corbin Cabin and Hannah Run. That is one peaceful stretch of trail.
The crossing of the Hughes River is on some well placed boulders. At the crossing, I overheard a hiker telling his companion the difficulty he'd had crossing here before the boulders were placed. Years ago, I took more than one plunge into the Hughes River attempting to cross at Corbin Mountain. A special "thank you" to PATC for taming the Hughes River crossings. Stream levels are a bit on the low side, but this still must surely be a daunting crossing at high water.
Hannah Run... perhaps my favorite "Hazel Country" trail. A fine walk in the woods. It's got the slope I like, a climb I can commit to... up to a point. I always stop at the chimney. I've run out of silly ideas for pictures there. No good sitting place at the chimney, so I waited for John and Steve at the Hannah Run crossing, one of few breaks in the climb. The climb out of Hannah Run is one of the steepest in the Park. A lot (a whole lot) of trail work has been done here. Again, much thanks to PATC. The trail terminates at Pinnacles Overlook. At the top of my wish list is a connector trail from here to the AT just south of the Pinnacle. From here it's usually a Drive walk south to pick up the AT at Jewell Hollow Overlook, but today it was north, downhill to the Buck Hollow trailhead at Meadow Spring parking. With the wind, it was hard to hear cars coming. Oh how I wish for an alternate route! I walked the stone walls a good bit of the way. The Buck Hollow downhill was an easy uneventful end to the hike. I've seen bear here before, but this was a bear-less hike.
I hope all got out on this fine weekend. Yet another successful "Wildflower Weekend" in SNP.
Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/58wa4oewhvUt7DDf6

No comments:

Post a Comment